You will wake up in the “Post Anesthesia Care Unit” where the nurses will watch you closely until you are ready to be put in a recliner. Once in the recliner, one adult visitor may join you. Before you are discharged, your nurse will review the instructions for your care at home with you and your adult visitor. A copy of these instructions will be sent home with you.
- Please take your pain medications as prescribed. It is helpful to NOT take your pain medication on an empty stomach.
- DO NOT DRIVE or DRINK ALCOHOL while taking pain medication.
- If you develop a rash, difficulty breathing or stomach pains after taking your medications please call your Surgeon’s office, your primary care doctor or go to the nearest Emergency Room.
- It is not uncommon for your dressing to become slightly bloody or wet after surgery. You may add more gauze. Do not remove dressing unless directed by your surgeon. Wear your splint as directed by your surgeon. If your dressing feels too tight or you feel numbness or tingling in your fingers or toes, you may loosen the Ace wrap. If the numbness continues, call your surgeon.
- If you have pain in your calf or when you wiggle your toes, call your surgeon. If you have excessive bleeding or shortness of breath or if you think you need emergency help, go to the nearest Emergency Room or call 911.
Your experience and feedback are important to us. Please take a few moments to tell us how we are doing: